Saturday, August 3, 2013

Growing Organic Basil

Mmm, the taste of fresh basil, just cut off from the plant, resting over a plate of your favorite pasta is something worth experiencing.  Its aromatic scent wafts to your nose, filling it with desire for your meal even before you begin eating.  Then you take a bite and
voila, like magic, your mouth begins to explode with flavor.  Needless to say, basil was first on my list when I was preparing my garden this year.


That being said, I have to admit that I am a first time gardener myself.  For most of my adulthood I have lived in either San Francisco or Paris, meaning I am an urban-ite who never considered growing anything on my own before.  However, now that I am in Sedona and surrounded by nature, I thought I would experiment with a few items this year.  Low and behold (and much to my amazement) it turns out that I have somehow inherited my father's and my grandmother's knack with plants.  So, I thought I would share how I did it for those potential gardeners out there.

I started off with a rather small plant that I planted in early spring and within only a short period of time it began propagating to such a degree, that I not only eat it quite often, I also contribute as much of my stock as possible to my friends and colleagues.  If you come over to my house, expect me to ask if you want some. Even though I give so much away and eat a lot myself, it is still a burgeoning beautiful plant.  

How do I do it?  First of all, it goes without saying that both the plant and the dirt I purchased were (and are still) organic.  My feeling is that if I get a few weeds, I pull them. It's as simple as that.  Pulling weeds with my hands has the added benefit of grounding me to Mother Earth—and that is certainly a good thing.  In fact, I think of gardening as an active meditation. Besides which, considering that the suffix -icide in pesticide and herbicide means murder, the poison that is being used to kill the weeds and bugs are doing damage to the consumer, as well. So, organic it is. Plus, let's face it, real food tastes better anyway.

The next thing I had to consider was where to put it.  I was advised to let it grow in a place where it would receive an abundance of sunshine.  I took that message to heart and placed my potted plant in an area where it receives sunlight from the early morning hours on through about three o'clock, when the shade gently covers it.  

Any time after that point, I make sure to water.  I live in the high desert, where it is hot nearly every day and the basil plant loves an ample amount of water.  When I water in the late afternoon/early evening, the sun doesn't immediately dry up all the water.  The plant, therefore, has a chance to soak up the nutrients it needs from the moisture overnight. Keep in mind that if you miss an evening watering, you can still water in the early morning.  However, once the sun comes up, you don't want to have water near your plant, as the hot sun can burn the leaves.

Another great tip I learned from the nice man at the garden center is when I cut any of my plants, I should cut the stalk just above, but at a point where two other leaves are branching off.  That way, the plant will spread in different directions from that cutting point. Let me tell you, that is a great tip, because it really works!

One thing that is important to point out is that the tops of the plant will want to seed.  That is when they start growing flowers.  It may look pretty, but when that happens, the plant thinks it's the end of the season and it's time to die off.  The remedy for this is to cut the top two inches or so off.  Then the plant will last until it gets too cold.

Keeping your Cut Basil Fresh:

I have discovered that the best way to keep your cut leaves fresh is to NOT put them in the refrigerator. The refrigerator dehydrates the plant leaves.  As a result, even after a few hours, the leaves look like a shriveled up mess.  

I have found that the best way to store the leaves is to place them in a small vase of water on your counter. It looks pretty and it smells good too. Then cut the leaves as needed.  

Please note that you do not want to get the leaves wet until right before you are going to use them in your food.  Wetting the leaves creates mold pretty quickly, and no one wants that.  So, just make sure your stalk is long enough so that the leaves aren't in the water themselves.  Then cut what you want, when you want it. It's that simple!

Cooking with Basil:

Basil is deciduous, meaning it will lose its leaves when the cold front hits.  If you haven't used all the leaves, before this happens, then cut what remains and make pesto.  If you store the cooked pesto in several small containers, they can be frozen and used throughout the winter.  

If you are making anything other than pesto, I recommend not actually cooking the basil with your dish. Instead just cut the leaves with your scissors over your already prepared meal once it's on the plate.  That way your senses will be tantalized to their fullest capacity.

That's it.  It's very easy to maintain and I have to mention that if this city girl can have a green thumb, then anyone can. I encourage you basil lovers out there to try your hand in the garden.  It is worth every bite. Happy growing!

Thank you for reading about my organic bliss!